If you had a troubling experience with Marco, how and when you share your experience (if at all) is entirely up to you. We are open to hearing from all Sonoma Academy community members regarding any troubling interactions they had with Marco or with the Sonoma Academy administration. We respect and affirm any choices you wish to make regarding your personal story.
If you choose to share your story, there are several ways to do so.
🗣 Participating in the Debevoise & Plimpton Investigation
We endorse the choice of Debevoise & Plimpton to lead the investigation into faculty and staff misconduct at Sonoma Academy and the administration’s handling of any and all misconduct. If you experienced, witnessed, or were aware of staff or faculty conduct that was troubling, inappropriate, or harmful, we encourage you to participate in the investigation.
If you wish to share your story with the investigators, you should proactively reach out to the Debevoise team at SAInvestigation@debevoise.com.
The investigators will interview everyone who has potentially relevant information. However, they may not approach a victim/survivor of abuse or misconduct if they believe that person has already been made aware of the investigation and is choosing not to participate.
You can find our full endorsement of the Debevoise & Plimpton team, as well as additional information about the investigation, here.
🗣 Three more ways to share your story
If you would like to share your experiences outside of the official investigation, here are three ways to do so:
- Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that we are not lawyers or mental health professionals. While we welcome the opportunity to connect with other alumni, our capacity to offer support is limited.
- Contact our attorney, Larry King, at email@example.com. Larry can keep your name and your story confidential, even from the leaders of the Athena Project.
- Finally, if you would like to speak with the Press Democrat, you can contact journalist Kaylee Tornay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
🗝 How are we protecting victims’ privacy?
From the very beginning of this process we have adhered to three commitments:
- No one’s experience or name will be shared with any other person, at any time, without their consent.
- No one's account of their experience will be used in any way that they do not specifically agree to.
- Anyone can retract their account at any time. If you choose to share your experience with us and later wish to retract it, we will delete the account of your experience and any record we have of your communication with us.
Finally, we know that revisiting painful memories can cause distress. We've put together a list of mental health resources to help you manage difficult emotional, mental, and physical reactions. We hope you'll let us know if there is anything else we can do to support you.